Wednesday, January 30, 2013

people, places and things

In November 2012, I moved 2.5 hours north and moved in with family in order to save money and so I could develop my relationship with my family. I also took on two jobs. One is working full time at Mercy Hospital, and the other is a part timeposition with the YMCA serving on staff as their Teen Impact Facilitator. The hospital offers full time benefits (which will come in handy once I start my PC medical requirements). The Y offers youth development experience (and a free Y membership!). These two jobs will help me develop skills needed in the PC (not to mention become very competitive for final placement).
As far as where I'd like to serve, I know that anyplace I am invited would offer me a life-changing opportunity, but I do have a special place in my heart for Central/South America, where I am originally nominated for. It sounds selfish for me to say that I don't want to work with Youth Development in Africa or Secondary Education in Asia, but so much of my heart is already invested in the Central/South America region that it just fits me.
I did some soul searching, realizing a couple of things. I had to remember my motivation: loving people. I got away from my foundation of wanting to “be with the people and help the people.” It seemed selfish to forfeit an opportunity with the Peace Corps simply because I wanted to remain with what was comfortable. Isn't that what challenges in life are all about? I could always pursue Spanish-related opportunities later in life, but I would always look back on this time and regret not serving.

... to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment