Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Mom meets Peru

So Ms. Awannah Buelterman came to el Peru! I honestly never thought that would happen. Mom has never even been outside of the US! (If you don't consider going literally "across the border" to Canada when she was younger). It was so weird (yet satisfying) to be able to show her my reality; what I live every day. We started out by meeting Oscar in Trujillo and doing some city tours. I myself enjoyed learning some new things about my regional capital.
 
Oscar helping mom across a glass-top walkway.
 We went to the famous "Huanchaco" and Mom tried CEVICHE, a traditional Peruvian dish with raw fish ("cooked" in lime juice) paired with white rice and a salad of purple onions and tomatoes. Mom was trying all sorts of new foods in her two-week stay (including cow heart, guinea pig, and sheep's intestines).

Oscar, mom and I in Huanchaco
 
After about 4 days in Trujillo we went to my site, Huamachuco, which is about 4.5 hours into the mountains from Trujillo. We visited where Oscar works (an ancient archelogical site called "Wiracochapampa") and got an unofficial tour from an archeologist. Mom just kept saying "Wow, bonita bonita."



The weekend that we were there, Huamachuco was celebrating their patron saint, Saint Francis de Asis. Thousands of St. Francis patrons line the streets barefoot, carrying a red carnation in their mouths, honoring their Saint. They also color sawdust and make intricate "paintings" depicting their Saint in different stages of his life. You can see the deeply-rooted tradition of the Huamachuco people and the high-importance of their religion in holidays like this.


Patrons of St. Francis walking through the paintings made by sawdust.
We spent a relaxing day in thermal baths about an hour and a half from Huamachuco. After opening our pores in our private baths, we messed around on the jungle gym and took a short hike to explore.
 


My mom also got to meet my Peruvian mom and dad. I had to translate everything, but it was nice seeing my two "families" mesh together. Mom's invited back to their house even if I don't live there.


Julio, me, mom, and Margarita
 My mom left mid-October and says she can't wait to come back. She says she'll be back to Peru within two years. I finish my contract with the Peace Corps this upcomming August (yes, two years has FLOWN BY!) and I'll be able to visit her and the rest of my family for a little bit.
 
Mom's three words to summarize her trip to Peru: LAND OF CONTRAST
 
And let this be an official invitation to ANYONE who wants to come to Peru to visit me. You will not have to pay to stay at my house and you will eat so much food! (Don't worry, I have PeptoBismol).

No comments:

Post a Comment