Monday, March 10, 2014

9 months due / WOMEN!

They tell us in training that we should celebrate the small things, including "benchmark days" such as 30 days in site, 30 days in Peru, 6 months in site, 6 months in Peru, 1 year in site/Peru, etc. etc. So, March 6th marked my 9 month in Peru. Peace Corps service is a big committment, so much so that being here almost 9 months, I feel that I am at full-term with this "baby." It is a responsiblity that everyday, I have carried (and still do). This is a 24/7 job because when I'm not "in the office" teaching class or writing a report, I am always representing my country. So, don't mind the aukward 9-month reference, but Peace Corps, my job, is an every-day, in-it-to-win-it type of situation. Speaking of 9-months and babies, I have a new cousin Piper that was born about 2 weeks ago and a friend of mine just had her baby as well. CONGRATS!!

March 8th was International Women's Day. On the 7th, we celebrated with a ceremony in the Plaza de Armas, a parade around the Plaza, a speech from the mayor, and free lunch for those in attendance (over 2,000). The week before, we also had inspirational talks from different members of the commnunity, a radio show (in which I participated!), free health clinic for women at the hospital, and educational sessions on gender vs. sex, women's rights, and other topics.
 
The mayor, the governer, me, and the military doctor.


Dancing Huayno (tradtional Sierran dance)


How about dancing infront of 2,000+ women
a dance I've never attempted? And is kinda tricky!

No comments:

Post a Comment