Thursday, January 23, 2014

Feliz Navidad

Where to begin? In early December, I the school year ended and I was stuck being super bored, also trying to organize my summer school details for mid-January. Remember that after-Christmas vacation in Trujillo? MAGICAL. Not really, it was just nice to be in the hot, humid heat for a few days, while the rest of the US was experiencing some sort of #PolarVortex. Sorry about that. That's why I don't have any pictures of the beach... I just felt too guilty.

Anyway, Christmas was tranquilo/quiet. A bit before midnight on the 24th, we made our way over to a family member's house. I was trying so hard to remember "OK it's Christmas... feel warm fuzzies," but it was difficult. Christmas in Peru is just not Christmas in the States. I was a little "over the whole thing," until the kids starting arriving, squealing with joy looking at all of the presents under the tree, just for them (Christmas in Peru focuses more on the youth). My host newphews and niece arrived, and I was in a better spirit. At exactly midnight, we hugged everyone (even the dog) and then sat down to a small dinner (oven-bbq chicken, apple sauce, and rice, and potatoes). After that, we opened presents. I got a nice towel and a warm fleece blanket for my bed (thanks Oscar).

On Christmas day, nothing much was going on, just a lunch with everyone at my house. I think the menu was chicken, rice, potatoes and some sort of wine. I partook in the first 3. I got to SKYPE with my aunt and grandpa (from my dad's side) who I never get to talk to. They met Oscar, too! Overall, it was a successfull first Christmas in Peru.

My friends Donald, Jamie and I went to the mall and had some delicious pizza. Sometimes you just have to indulge!


Feliz Navidad (Merry Christmas) from Peru!

A week or so before Christmas, Oscar's work had a live nativity scene in which he was one of the 3 wise men (he brought the incense). This took place in Wiracochapampa, a "suburb" if you will of Huamachuco. A lot of the campo people came out (dressed traiditionally, lives in the smaller cities, populations as small as 300) and the kids really enjoyed (adults too) seeing two white Gringas (me and my volunteer friend Julia) in attendance.


 
Live nativity animals made it too real...




No comments:

Post a Comment