Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The air literally smelled like bananas

I remember filling out my application, really having to think deep down inside why I wanted to do this.... I learned a lot about myself in the experience. In the essays I had to write, I had to point out things in my life I had accomplished. In an essay entitled "The air literally smelled like bananas," I recapped my study abroad experience and how I was able to overcome adversity of a new culture. I was starting to get excited... that this could really become a reality. It was August, 2011 before I heard anything back. I received and sent back completed fingerprint cards and background check information. October, 2011 came and I was scheduled an interview with a recruiter. I even got out my iron (had to dust it off) to iron my blouse for the interview.. I was so nervous! I'm great at talking, but not always so great and making sense when I speak. Factor in major nerves, I'm surprised my recruiter didn't need a translator.

At the end, it was noted that I really needed to gain some experience in teaching. I was told that English teaching positions in Central/South America (my preferred region) were amongst the most popular, therefore volunteers had to be competitive in their skills to be chosen. I needed on the field training but how was I supposed to do that when I had two jobs? What my recruiter said next would become a newly adopted life motto, “If it matters to you, you will find a way.” Harsh. Reality gut check. By the way, be careful what you complain about... because the next day, I found an “impossibly difficult and non-existent in my schedule” position teaching ESL English. And it worked with my schedules... bonus.

I worked on my volunteer hours, but I was getting ancy about my progression. I wouldn't get the 30 hours by December, 2011 (only 3 weeks from my recruiter requesting this), my lease was ending... and I couldn't get a full time job if I was leaving in a few months for PC. I decided to push back my start date to April 2013. At this point, my application is put on pending mode until I am have acquired 30 hours of ESL instruction and am ready to continue in the application progress.
 
... to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment